A blog focused on worship, pedals, lead guitar, and glorifying the King. I hope it edifies you in all things.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Gear: Be Humble

"The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit. God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart." Psalm 51:17 

Be Humble (Ps. 51:17)

Back in high school, I was asked to pick out a Bible verse to read in front of the congregation. I went home and googled "good Bible verses in Psalms", expecting to see a bunch of verses about praising God with a loud noise and with instruments. I wanted to blow everyone away with my expert selection. Instead, what the Spirit revealed to me was Psalm 51:17, a verse about breaking oneself to please God. This greatly upset me. I didn't want to be humble! I wanted to be the cool, hip, attractive guitarist with the ultra-relevant Bible verse and the cool hair.  But God had other plans. God used that verse to humble me and equip me to better lead others. 

But Curt, how does that story relate to pedals in any way, shape, or form? 

God does not require an arsenal of Strymon stompboxes. God does not require a custom JHS overdrive. God does not force the purchase of a 36x16 pedalboard custom made by some dude in New Zealand with three last names. None of this makes you holy. So don't let the dream of a massive pedalboard bring you down or clutter your thoughts. God will use whatever you bring Him, if your heart is in the right place. 

Something my old youth pastor once told me was this: "If you aren't following God, He does not need you. He will use someone else". That wrecked me. I was incredibly angry I was told this. I like to feel needed. Everyone does. But those words ring true- You are not the center of the picture, God is. God does not need you. God uses broken vessels like us to spread His Gospel.

My Gear

So, thanks to the above statements and Bible verses, I decided to rid myself of a large amount of my pedals. In fact, I regret the purchase of my 36x16 board. Anyways, what I have now:


Fender 1973 Starcaster Reissue>Boss CS-3>Vox Coil Cable>EHX Soul Food>Fulltone OCD(the version does not matter)>Tortuga Effects Fire Ant> Ernie Ball VP Jr. JHS Mod> (Polytune)> Digitech Synth Wah> Strymon Timeline (with a Danelectro FAB Flange in the FX Loop)> TC Electronic Hall of Fame> Marshall MX100

So there's my setup. It's a bit minimalistic, and I'm actually looking to grow it some (i.e. Micro POG and Eventide ModFactor), but what I have now gets the job done impeccably. I've gotten so many deals and steals with my gear, and I'm thankful to God for the blessings He has provided me. I would not have what I have without Him.

Thanks y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment