A blog focused on worship, pedals, lead guitar, and glorifying the King. I hope it edifies you in all things.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Reason(s) I Covered Creep and Where is My Mind?

Psh, like I NEEDED any reason(s) to cover them!


Just kidding…

Well, I absolutely love Radiohead and their beautiful song “Creep”. I know even Radiohead hates Creep, but I frankly am quite inspired by it. I feel too many people write off Creep as some angsty anthem. It is, I suppose. But it’s more than that. I’m not even referencing the “I don’t belong here” part. It’s a really humbling lyrical piece. It tugs at us to be more than a relationship. That is what I like about Creep.

As for “Where is My Mind”, I can’t really say much except that it is an incredibly disorienting piece of music. For years as a young teen, I loved the song simply as some off-kilter freak show to scream along to. But earlier this year I heard the lullaby version on an episode of Criminal Minds, and suddenly my whole view of the song was changed. I heard more than out of tune vocals and obnoxious lead lines. I heard something really beautiful. I immediately wanted to do a chill arrangement of the song. But after really studying the second verse, I hated it. I mean I absolutely despised it.

Then a thought occurred to me to cover Where is My Mind in the key of E(ish), along with Creep. It turned into a pretty cool concept, I feel. The reason I decided to actually record them together as a fluid piece is because listening to the songs together makes me feel a little less insane. And yeah, we’re creeps and weirdos, but we do have a purpose on this earth. It’s to glorify Jesus. So please bear that in mind as you listen to the song. We aren’t here for nothing. All is not lost. We have brains, hearts, ears, and tongues which we should use to worship the Maker with.

Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/tbato/creep-where-is-my-mind

Thanks y’all.

1 comment: